Is it German, is it French? Who cares? This is the juicy speciality from the Alsace, a small region in between France and Germany
- 600g of pot-roast/stewing meat (beef, pork and lamb meat).
- 400g of potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium-sized onions, sliced
- 2 leaks, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 500ml Elsässer Riesling or equivalent white wine
- Some Bay leaves
- Line a suitably large baking dish with butter.
- Cut the meat into equally sized cubes/chunks and mix. Add salt and pepper.
- Slice the peeled potatoes into medium thick slices and spice with salt, pepper, garlic and nutmeg.
- Slice the onions, leaks and carrots and add all the ingredients to the oven dish, starting with a layer of potatoes and followed by the meat, onions, leaks and carrots.
- Spice with some pepper and salt in between each layer.
- Finish with a top layer of potatoes and top with some bay leaves.
- Fill the dish with dry Riesling/white wine until approximately 1 third of the dish is full and put the lid on.
- Place in the oven for 2 hours at 160°C, until the meat is soft.