Traditional hotpot from Bremen with pork-belly, beans and vegetables.
- 400-500g lean, streaky pork-belly meat
- 250g kidney beans (soaked overnight in cold water)
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 200g green "Bobby beans", rinsed
- 200g fresh carrots, cut into ½cm large chunks
- 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
- 200g leeks, cut into strips or rings
- 500g peeled carrots, cut into 1cm large chunks
- 1 freshly-picked twig of savory
- 1 small bunch of chopped parsley
- Fry the chopped onions in a large pot until soft and 'glass-like' in appearance.
- Add the kidney beans (that you soaked in water overnight) as well as the water in which you soaked them and the vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil.
- Add the pork-belly, salt, pepper and savory and cook slowly on medium heat for 50-60 minutes.
- After the first 10 minutes, add the potatoes to the pot.
- 10 minutes thereafter, add the green beans and the rest of the vegetables.
- The meat, kidney beans and potatoes must be cooked until soft, but don't over-cook the other vegetables. They must remain 'al dente'.
- Cut the pork-belly into chunks and then re-introduce them to the pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.