The well known, all time French classic recipe spring chicken, lean Bacon, Mushrooms and Shallots
- 1 whole fresh spring chicken (also perfect with a normal chicken)
- 50g lean bacon
- 200g white mushrooms
- 200g equally sized shallots
- 375ml strong dry red wine
- Clear chicken stock (not necessarily self-made)
- Wheat flour
- Spices: salt, white pepper, thyme
PreparationPrepare the chicken:
- Clean the chicken with water and a kitchen brush. Remove the legs and separate the upper and lower halves of the legs.
- Cut the upper thighs into halves so that 6 bite-size pieces are created.
- Half the breast and cut into 2-3 pieces.
- (For best results, marinate the chicken the day before in red wine, pepper corns, a bay leaf and fresh thyme).
- Spice chicken pieces with salt and white pepper and lightly cover in flour.
- Lightly cover chicken with hot butter and place in a pan to let it gain a little colour.
- Cut bacon into thin pieces. Add the bacon and the washed shallots to the chicken.
- Add a little red wine, chicken stock and allow to simmer for approx. 20-25 minutes stirring now and then.
- Add the washed mushrooms.
- Check whether the chicken is still pink on the inside. If so, remove and keep it warm.
- Check the sauce – if the consistency is not thick enough, use thickening flour. Or add some cold butter and mix.
- My favourite addition and beverage is crispy baguette and the same red wine I used in the dish.
- Small buttered vegetables like asparagus, snow peas, carrots, leeks or mushrooms are also an excellent addition.