Lovely 'Friesenkekse' from Hamburg. Crumbly and soft, like my grandmother used to make them
- 300g of flour
- 100g cornstarch
- 250g butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 packets of vanilla sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites
- 200g of sugar
- 200g chopped almonds
- Mix the flour, corn flour and a pinch of salt.
- Mix the chopped almonds with the sugar and create a wallowing on a plate.
- Mix one third of the butter, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla essence with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Fold in the flour mixture and knead, adding the remaining butter.
- Cover mixture with tin foil and allow to stand in the fridge for 20 minutes
- Roll the dough out until approximately 4cm thick and cut into 1 - 2 inch thick slices.
- Beat and egg white with a tbsp. of water and paint the individual biscuits with the mixture and then dip into the sugar and almond mix.
- Place on a bakin tray, lined with baking paper.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 200° C and bake for 10 minutes.
- The "Friesenkekse" biscuits should remain light in colour, the almonds should be slightly brown. If necessary, cover while in the oven to prevent over-baking the almonds.