The hearty stew from the German countryside: Beef, bacon, beans and potatoes for rustic enjoyment.
- 500g ribs or brisket of beef
- 500g white beans
- 300g of chopped carrots
- 100g chopped celery root
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 250g peeled potatoes, chopped
- 150g mature bacon, chopped
- 3-4 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium apples
- Some vinegar
- Soak the white beans in water the day before.
- Cut the meat into 2cm x 2cm pieces.
- Once the white beans are soft, add the meat and 2 litres of water to the pot and start cooking on medium heat for 90 minutes.
- While the beans and meat are cooking, chop the potatoes, carrots, leaks and celery root into 1cm x 1cm pieces and add to the stew pot 20 minutes from the end.
- Cut the bacon into pieces and sprinkle with paprika powder and add to the pot.
- Add the sliced apples to the pot a few minutes before the end.
- Add salt, pepper and vinegar to taste.