Rustik and juicy - Enjoy pork knuckles the Bavarian way
- 4 pork knuckles, approximately 250g each
- 330ml of lager
- 100g of honey
- 1 bunch of greens
- 800g peeled potatoes, cut into thick slices or chunks
- 400g onions, cut into 2 x 2cm chunks
- 2 apples, cut into chunks
- 5 pickles, cut into chunks
- Zest from 1 lemon
- half a bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1 twig of time
- 2 bay leafs
- 5-6 juniper berries, pressed.
- Some cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 5-6 cloves.
- Add the pork knuckles, greens and cumin to a large pot full of salted water and allow to simmer for an hour.
- Then remove the pork knuckles and place in a large roasting pot or tin and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the beer and honey together and add half of the mixture and the herbs to the roasting tin.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 160° C for 90 minutes.
- Halfway through the roasting time, turn the knuckles over and add the rest of the honey and beer mixture.
- 30 mins. before the end of the cooking time, add the potatoes, apples, diced pickles, chopped parsley and onions to the roasting tin.
- The knuckles should be appetizingly brown and glazed.
- Reduce the sauce to the required amount and consistency.
I like to serve my pork knuckle in honey and beer in a baking disk with a hearty serving of celery and mashed potato. Very rustic and very delicious.